SSL 4000 G Bus Compressor

SSL 4000 G Bus Compressor

INTRODUCTION
Making mixes sound bigger, with more power, punch, and drive, the SSL G brings cohesion and strength to your mix without compromising clarity. To this day it remains a key element of the SSL sound and has been featured on countless classic recordings. With simple, intuitive controls and transparent compression characteristics.

HARMONIC ANALYSIS
To analyse the non-linear behaviours of the SSL 4000 G Bus, I ran a 100 Hz sine wave through the plug-in at various settings.

100 Hz sine wave at -12 dB passed through G Bus at Unity

100 Hz sine wave at -12 dB passed through G Bus Output +12 dB

100 Hz sine wave at -12 dB passed through G Bus +15 dB

The G Bus has strong third order harmonics, which are associated with richness and depth.

The second and forth harmonics are boosted slightly when driving the output; DC is also reduced, perhaps due to hitting the output transformer a little harder?

SATURATION CHARACTERISTICS
For this test I ran drum and synth loops through the G Bus at various settings. I have compensated for level so that the loops peak at -1 dBFS for maximum resolution of the waveform in Pro-L.

Dry Drum Loop

Drum Loop passed through G Bus at Unity

Drum Loop passed through G Bus Output +12 dB

Dry Synth Loop

Synth Loop passed through G Bus at Unity

Synth Loop passed through G Bus Output +12 dB

Very smooth and subtle saturation characteristics; driving the output has a slightly more agressive tone.

AUDIO EXAMPLES
SSL G Bus Drums 4dB Compression 300HzSC Mix50%.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Drums Dry.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Drums 4dB Compression.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Drums 4dB Compression 300HzSC.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Drums Unity.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Drums Output12.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Synth Dry.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Synth Unity.aif (1.3 MB)
SSL G Bus Synth Output12.aif (1.3 MB)

FREQUENCY AND PHASE RESPONSE
Lets take a look at the G Bus frequency and phase response at various settings
What I am looking for is the frequency and phase response of the plug-in at unity and if driving the output circuit changes this relationship.
Spectrum Colours
Yellow - noise generated by the plug-in analysis software to analyse the plug-in
White - frequency response of the plug-in at that particular setting
Red - phase shift of the plug-in at that particular setting

G Bus at Unity

G Bus Output +15 dB

The G Bus has a very linear frequency and phase response.

At unity, frequencys below 20 Hz are rolled off; when the output is driven, frequencies below 30 Hz are boosted a couple of dB. This does add a little bit of power in the low end.

Thanks Paul! Very nice explanation!

Amazing again, Paul. Thank you for this! What is that little bump of energy in the sub range in the screenshot?

Thanks guys

The mkii sounds tight, punchy and open sounding, when compared with the legacy version, the legacy version sounds dull and lifeless, although I do like the sound of the legacy, the mkii is far superior. I could still see uses for the legacy on extremely bright mixes.

Used this today, one word… WOW!

Paul, awesome post. I was about to delve into similar research, nowhere near as deep as what you did. Absolutely wonderful job.

hey there!

you missed the HR knob. i believe that would change something also on pictures :slight_smile:

and i found this plug to reduce some HF content from my tracks when used as buss compressor. pleasantly, but too much for my taste…

…still little puzzled about it :slight_smile: as with almost all uad plugins, haha… (will that ever change? :slight_smile:

I would have had the HR set to 0 when doing the analysis.

I know what you mean, I had some issues with high frequencies at times. M/S configuration alleviates this.