What computer are you using?

Hi I was curious what computers people are using? I currently have a mac from 2011 that runs fine but the GPU is slowly becoming more unresponsive, I can get it to work but at some point I won’t.

I don’t want to buy a new mac right now as I want to wait for the next generation to invest a lot of money in another long term machine.

So I am looking for a non mac solution to basic midi and maybe basic recording and running virtual instruments. You can buy a windows based computer for a couple of hundred but would it be enough to realistically run music software?

Is there an option for £2 - 300, that isn’t a waste of money?

I posted this in news wasn’t sure what category to post in thank you.

1 Like

maybe a hackintosh system is a good choice for you, if you are willing to invest some time.
i have a pc and a laptop running with a fully functional mac os system without having spent tons of money.

if you are interested, www.tonymacx86.com is the best and probably only ressource you will need.

I tried to set up a Hackingtosh system a few years ago on a gaming PC but I could never get it to run properly, the computer kept overheating and I didn’t enjoy it. It seems to get a hackingtosh system working I would need to invest quite a lot in a custom build. I don’t mind just using a pc system and windows. I just want something stable.

it´s a lot more easy now then a few years back. but i totally understand that it must be a nightmare for you, thinking of that.

configuring my laptop to work took me a lot of work and brought me a lot of frustration. but especially for classic pc´s, its some kind of plug and play now, if you have compatible hardware.

I am in a similar predicament, I am running a 2012 Mac Pro, which often won’t start and has to be reinstalled from a Time Capsule. I am patiently waiting for the new Mac Pro to land, who knoes if that will be this year or not. To be honest, I am hoping this machine will hold out.

I"m still on an iMac 2011 and a MacBook Pro 2012. They run pretty well. I am running external sessions off of firewire drives. The internal drive only has the DAW and plugins. I still have a 1tb 7200 RPM Serial ATA drive. That needs to be switched out with a fustion or SSD drive. I think after that I can get some more mileage out of it.

Hello!
I have been working in the IT field for 9 years now. MCP and a few other certs.
Building your own Machine is IMO the way to go, you can get top of the line components for a fraction of the price you pay for retail.

I am using a Windows 10 PC with 32 GB of RAM. I have an older quad-core processor i7 4790k overclocked to 4.5Ghz on all cores. To keep it all cool I use a Corsair H60 watercooler. I use two SSD Drives. 1 500 GB drive for the operating system and apps, and a 1TB drive for storage. I also installed an AMD Rx 580 Graphics card.

I spent less than $1,000

Our school is AMAZING! I cannot say enough good things about it. That being said it is also very CPU intensive. You can buy a Mac with similar Specs I have listed above but, you will pay an arm and a leg for it. If your willing to look at a PC build. I can spec out a Machine for you, and you could build yourself. I would be willing to help or possibly build it for you.

Hit me up on chat if you have any questions!
John

Hey John

That sounds amazing thank you!

Im trying to squeeze as much life out of my mac so I think I can get a few more months out of it, but I will have to buy a new one at some point, so I will give you a message.

Doing a custom build scares me a bit because I bought a pc off a friend but I think they sold me a bit of a lemon because the fans kept overheating and running it seemed unstable, and I know my way around a computer in a basic way, But I’m not tech enough to know about specs and how to build a proper system.

Thank you that would be a great help

You are very welcome! Feel free to reach out when you are ready, and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Thats great thank you, I really appreciate it!