Quick Look at Little Lab's VOG

Little Labs - Voice of God

As mentioned on another thread, I have put the VOG under the microscope to see how it works.

INTRODUCTION
The Little Labs VOG is the ultimate bass resonance tool for mixing. The VOG is used to accurately target and accentuate low frequency material, from vocals to bass guitar and drums — adding both heft and precision beyond a simple EQ.

OPERATION
The center of the sweepable frequency range is selected via two push-buttons of 40 Hz and 100 Hz, or you can set the center to 200 Hz by pressing both buttons simultaneously. Everything below the targeted frequency peak is rolled off in a smooth curve — up to -24 dB per octave — ensuring that the low end is always tight and out of the mud. The higher the amplitude of the peak resonance frequency, the more you cut off the mud below, effectively performing two functions at once.

PLUG-IN ANALYSIS

• The VOG does not induce any harmonic distortion: 100 Hz sine in equals 100 Hz sine out when unit is flat.
  • The VOG does not soft clip or saturate the source.

I have attached screen grabs of the VOG at 40 Hz and 100 Hz with midway and maximum amplitude settings so you can view contour of EQ slope and phase response:

40 Hz with Amplitude Midway
VOG 40 Hz Amp Mid

40 Hz with Amplitude Maximum
VOG 40 Hz Amp Max

100 Hz with Amplitude Midway
VOG 100 Hz Amp Mid

100 Hz with Amplitude Maximum
VOG 100 HZ Amp Max

3 Likes

@Paul does that mean you could literally use ProQ and get the same result?

The VOG would still be my first choice. You are never going to achieve the exact same curve with Pro-Q2 and you would need to use multiple filters e.g. low pass and bell filter simultaneously. Therefore, the VOG is much quicker at this specific application and it often sounds good; however, is the plug-in essential? Absolutely not! But if you can pick it up in a sale or you own everything else you need then go for it. Additionally, some genres of music like trance… where low frequencies drive the track, you may use the VOG muchmore and consider it an essential tool.

1 Like

I have it and love it @Paul, but I am always curious to understand what I am doing and why it is working/not working, not just get it to work. If that makes sense. Thanks for the rundown mate. As always, these are really good and for those interested in the ‘science bit’, they are really helpful.

1 Like