Live Q & A for new users

Hey peeps. Hope people are having a productive week so far!

I’ve received a few questions since kicking off the Live Users Group…

Since some of the questions are from users new to Live or still getting accustomed it, I thought this would be a great place to start an Ableton Live Q & A thread

It would be great to see NLS’s Ableton Live thread develop into a community of users, grads, and students helping each other out navigating their DAW… Or as a resource for production techniques, tips etc…

Cheers!

First round of Q & A to be posted below…

USER LIBRARY:

Presets:

Is there a way to save multiple plugins as a chain that can be recalled through multiple Live sets?
For example, I have a series of favorite 3rd party plugins that I would like to use as a channel strip in tracks

Yes. The easiest way to do this is to group all effects you want to make a preset chain chain out of. (This creates a plugin that Live calls ‘Audio Effect Rack’, under the Audio Effects tab in the library…)

Hold down shift and select all the plugins you want to make a preset out of, then either go to the edit menu and select “Group”. Hit the disk icon and it will save it to your library… Live will open the audio effect rack preset folder in the user library and prompt you to name the preset…

You can also start with the Audio Effect Rack plugin next time you want to make a new preset, and drag plugins into the area where it says ‘Drop audio effects here.’ After that save your preset.
… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …

ARRANGEMENT VIEW:

Editing:

What’s the best/easiest way to duplicate clips across multiple tracks in the Arrangement view? For example, I have a drum sequence track 1, bass in track 2, a lead in track 3, and another lead in track 4 and I want them playing 4 times before going to another series of clips

Yup. You can just select any clips happening in the same slection and “Duplicate”, under the edit menu.
You can also hold down option and drag like any other daw but duplicating with a key command is a lot faster…
RECORDING AUDIO:

Audio I/O:

How do I record the guitar?

You have to make sure your audio interface is enabled as the audio in source in Live’s preferences.
In the menu up top select “Live” and select Preferences. It should show you your Audio/Midi settings once the window’s open. Find your audio interface under “Audio Input Device”. Once you’ve selected it you should see audio coming in as long as everything is connected to your audio interface correctly…

Input Monitoring:

Can I have effects play as I record, such as having an amp sim so I’m hearing distorted guitar as I record?

Yes, Live has two plugins for Amps that you can record through, “Amp” and “Cabinet”. (Amp before cabinet obviously…) Technically your recording will be a clean signal and you’re just using the plugin for processing instead of printing your guitar to an audio track with the amp plugin.
****(Live 10 will offer a 3rd plugin, “Pedal”, a stompbox with 3 types of distortion and Mid-EQ)

Takes:

How do I manage multiple takes so I can select the best riff version to make my clip? For example, I play a riff 7 times and the 3rd time is the best so I only want to use that and delete the other times?

Live unfortunately doesn’t have automatic take tracks… However, Live does record every pass you do, assuming you’re recording with a loop… Once done extend the loop out all the way. Playback and find the take you liked most. Now drag the handles in to be the length of the take. Done…

You can make a stack of takes by copying each take to a new track and grouping it. The easiest way to do this is make a new audio track below the recorded track, and while the clip’s fully extended select the region of the first take and drag it to the new track below. Rinse and repeat until all takes are on their own tracks. Once done group all tracks and you have a stack of takes that fold/unfold. (You can also duplicate and use clip view but it’s a little complicated to explain.)

Comping:

How can I edit the audio to make it into a clip?

Once grouped you can treat each track like a take, and delete or mute unused portions of each track as needed.

More questions to come soon!