Using a Plugin on the Built In Output of Mac for Headphone Correction

Both menuBus and Systemwide got very unstable at the end of the Winter classes, so I just removed them and thing were back to normal. but of course i missed my Sonarworks…Spring Session starts up next week and I want to get one one or the other back up and running this weekend.

we’re using a software called Hosting AU (http://ju-x.com/hostingau.html) in combination with Soundflower (link on the website) to host our Sonarworks plugin outside the DAW for several months now - it works quite smoothly and is free! you have to check your sample rate settings via the Audio-MIDI-Setup in the Mac OS when you changed them in your DAW before and wanna listen to for example Spotify afterwards in 44.1k, but seems like the only thing that’s a little inconvenient so far… Of course you have to pay a little bit attention to your internal routing and the order of starting programms, but find it totally manageable so far… Probably will get me the Systemwide from Sonwarworks anytime in the future, but no urgent need at the moment with this current solution!

literally had tears of joy in the eyes when i heard my individually calibrated headphones (Ultrasone PRO 900; no general profile available) for the first time… a/b ing with the bypass switch was a revelation! same goes for the speaker calibration - definitely one of the best values for money of my whole audio life so far… was the so called ‘game-changer’, especially if you’re working in an untreated bedroom!

I sent in my HD-650 for calibration today. Fingers crossed.

/K

keep us informed when you have it

Hi danny,

I’m the developer of menuBUS and I’d love to hear more about your experience with menuBUS vs Sonarworks and also the issues you faced with instability in both apps. The latest version of menuBUS is being reported by many to be much more stable, so it would be great to hear from you on how your testing has been going!

Nathan

1 Like

hi nathan! wow! great to have you in the forum! i had some instability during online broadcasting a few weeks back, so i went without my sonarworks for a week but i really, really missed it. i tried the most recent systemwide again this week and it’s been perfectly stable so far. i will test the most recent menuBUS this weekend and post my results. really cool that you checked in. much appreciated.

I’ve just download the shareware version. For the moment it works great ! no CPU surcharge like Audio Hijack, so a very good point

Hi Nathan,

I’ve seen a problem when using MenuBus : I’ve correctly set the output (to my Zen tour Antelope). Sometimes there is a really bad fuzz when listening to anything, I thought that my buffer size wasn’t enough high, so I changed to 2048 into the audio setup of MenuBus, but it’s not that. So there is a fuzz problem appearing sometimes, and it’s not comfortable. Here is a recording live of the problem, which disappears if I re-setup the output (same settings)

I really hope you’ll be able to solve this problem, because the app next to that is really good

Will be good to hear how you get on! Be sure to download the latest test build from within the preferences menu as it’s the most stable.
Was the stability you were experiencing similar to what Opero has posted, or was it more buggynes with the app interface?

Thanks for the recording Opero.
I am actively working on this issue as it’s my number one priority. I have a few questions to ask if you though if you don’t mind?

What sample rate are you trying to run at?
Have you tried to update to the latest test build?
Do the audio glitch occur when using a different output?

And if all of the above don’t work, could you try out version 1.0 for me by downloading at www.menubus.audio/versions
You will need to run the uninstaller in menuBUS first and then restart your computer just to make sure the latest audio has been unloaded.

My understanding is that there are a few interfaces out there that don’t behave well when being used as aggregate devices, which is what the most recent versions of menuBUS rely on. However in version 1.0 I was doing things a little differently… I woukd revert to this version, or at least give an option in the settings to operate in this different mode if it fixes these glitches!

here is a screenshot of my actual configuration when the problem does occur :

The problem is still here if I change the buffer size.
Here is my version :

I only have my macbook pro output next to my audio interface, I’ll test it but for the moment it works on the output of my computer

I just released latest build that includes a “compatibility mode” which I hope will fix this issue for you and others!
You can update to it by selecting “Include Beta Builds” in the preferences pane of menuBUS and then click "Check for updates"
Let me know how you get on!

I received my individually calibrated profile today and will receive the headphones tomorrow. Judging from the calibrated profile it is clear that an individual calibration is a really good idea. I would never have guessed I had such a big frequency dip at 7-8k.

1 Like

thanks for the graph,

It let me think a lot because here is the “average” HD650 calibration, and it’s really different than what you have

This shows that each headphone is really different… and it would be more effective with a special calibration

Hi MenuBus,

The new update helped me to stop distortion, so it’s resolved. However, i noted a second problem which was also before this update :

I cannot mix nor produce in a DAW which is set with MenuBus. There is a big latency even I put the buffer size at 32. So Menubus does work only outside my DAW.

This sounds a little strange to me? I have people working with menuBUS recording virtual instruments, so the latency is pretty low. Is there a difference in latency between compatibility mode on vs off for you?

OMG. I just received my headphones today.

Now I know what a flat reference headphone sound like!

Highly recommended.

Sonarworks support and service is nothing short of stellar.

/K

1 Like

Hi Opero,

My latest update includes a “Minimise IO Latency” option :metal:
Id be keen to hear how that’s working for you?

Nathan

The Minimise option works, which is a great news, I continue to test it