Next level compositions

Hi, I have still problem to understand simple concept of creating release and tension in composition.Whenever I create melodies it doesnt feel 100% right to me it doesnt matter what.
What confuse me a lot is for example KEY of song vs chords in general…If song is in key of Cmaj then C-E-G are chordal tones through out the whole chords progression?Or just at the moment when chord Cmaj is playing?I dont get it…
How to create tension-release?

Also will be there materials for study,some texts,pictures?Its not funny browsing through hours of videos whenever I have something in mind and want to remind myself the concept?:slight_smile:

Hi,jmfriedman!
Of course I know there is no just Cmaj chord in Cmaj Key. I want to know which notes playing melody are conconants-dissonants at any moment…Whether note D is dissonance throughout whole chords progression or only when playing with chord Cmaj at the same time…

@Kristin is currently working on some ‘cheat sheets’ as we could call them that will help with this. I think due to the quality of some of the music in the school, there had been almost an assumption that a level of music theory was understood. I raised that even if understood, it would be good for those that don’t have a background in music theory or work in music every day, to have some reference sheets. They are on their way dont worry…

3 Likes