Is it possible to adjust the dry/wet on the virtual tape machine?

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with some of my mixes where the virtual tape machine on my master channel seems to make the track feel a bit too punchy and aggressive. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to loosen up on the intensity of the tape machine. My first thought is to unlink the input/output and just turn the output down until its less punchy…

Thanks!

Are you talking about the Slate Tape? I think it only has input and output and if you unlink them you can control the amount. Softube tape is the same way. I don’t think I have seen wet/dry knobs since they mimic old school analog machines.

1 Like

Which DAW do you use? one of the options would be to put the tape on a “return track” and send all the audios for this return … then you can mix dry and wet signals.

1 Like

Not sure what tape emulation you are using but reduce the input level, so the signal is not hitting the tape too hot and increase the output.

Don’t use send/returns or wet/dry for tape emulations, as the adverse phase interactions will be significant.

1 Like

Thanks guys! I am using Ableton. I did run into some phase issues when trying to use it on a send channel. The best way I found so far was to just unlink the input/output knobs and turn the input down while leaving the output alone.

EASY BRO!! Just select you tape or pluing that you wanna control the dry/wet… them press “command G” to create a rack

Than you create a chain inside the rack (right click - create chain)

Now you have one chain with the tape, and one dry

now you can adjust the dry/wet making the balance between the volumes of the dry channel and the tape channel. This is a kind of parallel process. You can do it for any plugin! This is one of the thing that I love about ableton.

Hope this helps.

1 Like